A fresh watermelon coconut cocktail made purely from watermelon, coconut water and good quality vodka, perfect for alfresco summer evenings. I have been in Portugal for the past week with my family for my mums’s birthday, where produce is fresh and flavoursome! Alcohol is also cheap, with one of the family’s favourite vodkas, Zubrowka at only €8! In the UK you are looking at the same amount for way over double that. We therefore felt obliged to stock up and create a fresh, light summer cocktail to enjoy by the pool in the sunshine. You will not only be treated to a tasty, vibrantly coloured cocktail but you will also be getting the health benefits from the watermelon and coconut water. Surely that balances the vodka out….right?
Makes about 2.5 litres.
- 1 Third Fresh Watermelon
- Water From 1 Fresh Coconut
- 40cl Good Quality Vodka
- Good handful ice
- In a 2.5 litre pitcher, add the ice and then the vodka.
- Cut the hard skin off the watermelon, leaving the pink flesh.
- Place in a blender and blitz for about 30 seconds, or use a jug and a hand blender.
- Sieve the watermelon into a pitcher filled with a handful of ice leaving you with a pink smooth liquid.
- Using a corkscrew bottle opener drill into one of the 3 dimples at the top of the coconut until you break through to the hollow centre.
- Pour the fresh coconut water through the drilled hole into your pitcher.
- Give it a good stir and serve.