I made this wonderfully healthy gluten-free vegan Vegetable Noodle Pad Thai after my housemates and I had been to kettlercise at our local gym. It was so fresh and colourful, who would’ve thought that noodles made of vegetables could look and taste so good! My housemate Amy has a spiralizer, a kitchen gadget that I have wanted to get my hands on for ages and I highly recommend them, even if it’s just for a bit of fun! I used pistachios in this recipe but you can replace them with any type of nut. Traditionally Pad Thai comes with peanuts but I don’t think anyone could suggest this recipe is anything like the original. Cashews or almonds would work well too. If you’re not vegan and want to add more protein, quickly scramble some egg in the pan after you have removed the cooked noodles and serve over the hot noodles. Or you can even leave the dish completely raw and skip out step 3. It is a highly versatile recipe.
- 3 Courgettes
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Spring Onions / Scallions
- 1 Tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 4 Tbsp Pistachios (or peanuts for more authenticity)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame/ Coconut Oil
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- 3cm Fresh Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Tamari/ Soy Sauce
- 3 Limes, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or Coconut/ Palm Sugar)
- ½ to 1 Tsp Smoked Chilli (depending on how spicy you like it)
- In a small bowl stir together tamari, lime juice, maple syrup and smoked chilli. Grate the ginger and crush the garlic and add. Set aside.
- Using a spiralizer, mandolin, julienne slicer or potato peeler create courgette and carrot noodles. If using a spiralizer, use the thick setting for the courgette and the thin setting for the carrot.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the courgette and carrot noodles and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until they are heated through and tender but still retain some crunch.
- Chop the white ends of the spring onions into 1cm pieces and add to the pan.
- Add the dressing, stir and heat for a further minute until hot.
- Add the pistachios. Transfer to a big bowl, pour over the remaining juices and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve straight away.