Although not vegan myself, I often cook meat/ dairy/ egg free meals, and probably over half (if not more) of my recipes on the blog are vegan. Whilst studying at university I turned completely vegan for about 6 months and to be honest, I struggled. I am a massive foodie who loves to eat out, so being so restricted in restaurants made me fall out with food. It wasn’t the fact that the food was vegan which made me fall out of love – I have had some mind-blowingly flavoursome vegan food – but the average chef has no idea how to cook vegan food!
And so I began blogging, mainly because I knew it wasn’t hard to create tasty food which feeds the eyes as well as the stomach. Veggie food is so full of colour, I love it! My next recipe is beetroot houmous, which is such a wonderful vibrant purple that you’d think I had been messing with the colour contrast (I haven’t, my computer is broken so I have no editing software).
This recipe is my go-to high protein, low fat vegan alternative to scrambled eggs in the morning. It is highly customisable – you can add whatever flavours or veggies you fancy! Using some veggie sausages would make this even higher in protein and more substantial for those long weekend breakfasts. Just experiment, tofu takes up flavour so well so remember to add lots of seasoning and spices! Serves 3-4.
Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 400g Tofu
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Handful Fresh Spinach
- 1tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- Good pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 3-4 Wholemeal Seeded Pita Breads
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a frying pan.
- Finely slice the onion and crush the garlic, and add to the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Drain the tofu and crumble into the pan.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and salt, and stir to coat the tofu. Fry for 4-5 minutes until the tofu begins to colour, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the pita breads with a little water and heat in a toaster or warm oven
- Add the Spinach to the tofu and stir until wilted – 3o seconds to 1 minute.
- Slice open the pita breads and spoon in the tofu scramble.