Hi all sorry for the delay in posting a new recipe, my life has been unexpectedly uprooted so I have been moving house etc. I am feeling a little more settled now on the other side of Bristol, living with 2 lovely veggie/vegan Irish girls.
We made these vegan stuffed aubergine rolls for our 1st house dinner/ Amy’s birthday, which are filled with Middle Eastern flavours of walnuts and pomegranate. They are a real explosion of flavour, with wonderful textures of soft aubergine, crunchy walnut and juicy pomegranate. The recipe was adapted from Honey & Co: Food from the Middle East by Itamar Srulovich, which is a great read with plenty of vegetarian/ vegan options.
We served the dish with some amazing broccoli rice with avocado and pistachios and sweet potato wedges from a favourite blog of the house, Naturally Sassy. The only difference between the recipes was that we left the broccoli rice raw. Highly recommended! Serves 3-4.
Stuffed Aubergine Rolls
- 2 large aubergines
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 80g walnuts
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 small bunch/ 15-20g fresh parsley
- 1 pomegranate/ 80g pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oven to 220ºC/gas mark 7.
- Trim the ends of the aubergines and discard.
- If you have a mandolin, slice each aubergine lengthways using setting 3. If not, use a sharp knife to slice the aubergine lengthways, trying to keep the slices ~3mm thick. Set aside the outside slices.
- Drizzle a baking tray with oil. Place the middle aubergine slices onto it and drizzle with some more oil and season. Roast in the oven for around 10 minutes until they are golden and soft. Watch them closely as they burn easily.
- Meanwhile, peel the onion and dice finely. Cut the leftover outside slices of the aubergine into 1cm cubes.
- Fry the onion in the oil over a medium heat until it starts to soften, then add the diced aubergine and salt. Cook until the aubergine is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and and parsley. De-seed the pomegranate and grate the ginger. Add the remaining ingredients to the aubergine, reserving 2tbsp of the walnuts and pomegranate for decoration. Mix well and season to taste.
- Place a large spoonful of the filling at one end of each roasted aubergine slice and roll them into thick sausages. Place the filled aubergine rolls in an ovenproof serving dish. If you have a little filling left over, spread it around the dish.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through before serving. Sprinkle the warmed rolls with the reserved walnuts and pomegranate seeds and serve 3 rolls per person.