These raw chocolate brownies with avocado frosting feel so decadent but are made from completely unrefined, raw vegan ingredients. I seem to be on a bit of a raw streak at the moment, not intentionally, it is just what I’m craving. The base of this recipe was dreamed up whilst attempting revise for a recent interview. Thankfully the whole process took less than half an hour as there was no cooking involved so once my cravings were satisfied I could get on with the job at hand. Recipe adapted from Food Loves Writing (who adapted it from Not Quite Nigella). Feeling the blogging love! Makes 8 – 10 brownies.
- 100g/ 1 cup walnuts
- 100g/ 1 cup pitted dates
- 2-3 tbsp/ 30g/ ¹⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 2-3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Handful Hazelnuts/ Almonds
- Using parchment paper or cling film line a small shallow dish hanging off the sides so you can lift it out when the brownies are done.
- In a blender or food mixer combine the walnuts, dates, coconut oil and of cocoa powder until the mixture looks like soil. Compress the mixture into your lined dish.
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- Combine avocado, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (no need to wash the bowl).
- Spread mixture over the brownie layer.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts or almonds and sprinkle over the chocolate avocado frosting.
- Freeze the brownies for 30 minutes to an hour. Lift the brownies out of the dish using the parchment or cling film.
- Slice and serve.