Bircher muesli is a Swiss invention traditionally made with oats, soaked in fruit juice overnight and served with grated fruit and nuts. I replaced the oats with quinoa flakes to make my bircher muesli as they are high in protein and gluten-free. This recipe is so quick and healthy too, I like to soak the quinoa in a clean jar overnight, then add the other ingredients in the morning, screw on the lid and take the bircher to work ready to eat at my desk. Time efficient AND healthy, plus everyone gets jealous because your breakfast looks so good! Recipe below serves 1 but it is easily multiplied.
Quinoa Bircher Muesli
- 25g Quinoa Flakes
- 6 tbsp Apple Juice
- 1 Dessert Apple
- Splash of your choice of milk (I like almond)
- Handful of Almonds, roughly chopped
- Soak the quinoa flakes in the apple juice overnight.
- Grate the apple into the soaked quinoa and add a pinch of salt.
- Add enough milk to bring to a loose porridgey consistency.
- Sprinkle with the nuts and add whatever optional extras you like to top.
- Mixed Berries
- Bee Pollen
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Flakes
- Dried fruit e.g. Raisins, Cranberries etc.
- Nuts and/ or Seeds
- Nut Butter
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg etc.