Sushi is so satisfying to make, but it can be a very time consuming process. Usually when making sushi you need to cook the rice then let it cool before rolling in the nori sheets, but who really has time to wait around watching rice cool? A few little cheats and this healthy vegan sushi can be ready in less than half an hour! The miso-tahini dressing can be used on anything, from steamed rice and kale to the smoked tofu in these vegan sushi rolls. Experiment end enjoy! Serves 2-4 depending on hunger.
Miso Tahini Dressing
- 2 Tbsp Red/ White Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey/ Maple Syrup (if vegan)
- 2cm Piece Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 6 Tbsp Water
- Mix all the ingredients and set aside.
You can add whatever ingredients you like into the sushi rolls. Sugar snap peas will work well, as would marinated shiitake mushrooms or red pepper. Be adventurous! If you don’t want to use pre-cooked brown rice and quinoa, cook the grains as specified on the pack, spread out on a large tray and cool for at least half an hour.
- 3-4 Nori Sheets
- 1 Pouch Steamed Brown Rice & Quinoa (such as Tilda)
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Avocado
- 4 Spring Onions
- 225g Smoked Tofu
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Drain the tofu, place on a plate between kitchen towel and place a heavy object such as a chopping board or cookbook on top to press for 5-10 minutes to remove excess moisture (optional, but it does make the tofu more porous to the marinade).
- Halve the tofu lenthways, then cut into slices 1cm thick , place in a bowl and pour the miso-tahini marinade over. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrot and slice into thin strips about 1cm in diameter.
- Cut the avocado in half , remove the skin and stone and slice the flesh lengthways.
- Trim and peel the spring onion, and slice thinly into strips
- Place the brown rice and quinoa in a bowl and mix through the rice vinegar, along with a pinch of sea salt.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Remove the tofu slices from the marinade and fry for 3-4 minutes, flipping after 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the nori sheet with the long edge closest to you. It is easier if you have a bamboo rolling mat, but it isn’t necessary.
- Spoon on a quarter of the rice and spread along the long side about an inch wide across the end closest to you.
- Add 3-4 pieces of tofu, avocado, spring onion and carrot. Spoon on some of the marinade and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Tightly roll the nori sheet, tucking in the filling and rolling until 1cm from the end to make a long sausage. Using some of the marinade, wet the end of the nori sheet and seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the sausage into 1 inch pieces. Set aside and repeat from stage 1 until you have no ingredients left.
- Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and tamari/soy sauce.