Both of these recipes have been in my head for some time and I have finally got around to making them, combining the two into one strikingly colourful dish. They would make excellent canapés at a party, or are a great protein packed snack pre or post gym. In my previous superfood salad post I mentioned the benefits of beetroot on athletic performance, so to get maximum benefit save the juice and incorporate it into a soup, juice or smoothie. I didn’t notice any eggy taste but if you’re unsure it is best to add the juice into a soup.
- 8 Organic Eggs
- 3 Raw Beetroots (you will need a juicer)/ 250ml Beetroot Juice
- Splash Water
- Sea Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- A few Greek Basil leaves (I used parsley in the photos but after experimenting with the flavours I thought basil worked best).
- Hard boil your eggs (I use Delia’s method of hard boiling eggs). Cool quickly, peel and place in a bowl.
- Juice the beetroot, if needed.
- Add a splash of water to the beetroot juice and pour over the eggs.
- Cover in cling film and place in the fridge for at least half an hour. The colour will become stronger and permeate into the egg white the longer you leave it.
- Remove eggs, wash the excess beetroot juice off and slice in half. Scoop out the yolk and discard (or save for a different recipe).
- Spoon in the avocado hollandaise (recipe below) into the hollow, sprinkle with a little sea salt, paprika and top with basil.
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 2 Lemons, juiced
- 6 tbsp Water
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Good pinch Salt and Pepper
- Add the avocado, lemon juice and water to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides if needed.
- With the blender running, stream in the olive oil slowly. Continue to blend until pureed and smooth.