Smashed avocado on toast is one of my favourite weekend brunch meals. Add a poached egg on top and I’m in heaven. So, as it is asparagus season, why not throw some lightly cooked asparagus on top to make the ultimate Spring breakfast!
This recipe is super easy with only a handful of ingredients. I find the key to perfect poached eggs is a splash of apple cider vinegar in the water, it keeps the albumen together without the need of swirling the water. I also recommend investing in some good quality smoked paprika like La Chinata. There is also an AMAZING spice stall in Gloucester market that sells every spice you ever need, as well as the most amazing homemade houmous, pestos and olives. I highly recommend visiting Eastgate market if you are ever in Gloucester – their smoked paprika is delicious!
I used 100% rye bread for this recipe however another hearty bread such as sourdough would work equally well. Recipe serves 2 as a light meal or 1 hungry person, can be multiplied to feed a crowd.
Poached Egg & Avocado on Rye
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Avocado
- 2 Slices Rye Bread (or choice of other bread)
- 6-8 Young Asparagus Spears
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Basil (I used a mix of Greek and purple basil)
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Snap the woody part of the asparagus off and add to the water. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the spears and set aside, leaving the water on the heat.
- Place the bread in the toaster and toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the boiling water and turn the heat down to a light boil. Break the eggs into a ramekin and drop into the water. Time the eggs for 3.5 – 4 minutes.
- Once the toast is done, smash the avocado onto it, adding the smoked paprika and salt. Place the asparagus spears on top.
- Scoop the eggs out of the water. They should still feel soft in the middle with the whites solidified. Place on top of the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with more smoked paprika, salt and torn basil leaves.