My friends run an amazing Honduran rum company Pirate’s Grog, and they are hosting a festival called Rumbellion just outside London between the 5-7th June 2015. I am very happy to say that Independent Kitchen will be catering at the festival, and this is one of the recipes I have designed for the menu. Wraps are fantastic festival food because you don’t need any plates or cutlery, there is very little packaging needed and are easy to make quickly with little cooking equipment. They are also a great healthy option at a festival, offering all the fresh goodness of vegetables, protein and wholemeal carbs – perfect for when the festival goers night before turns into the morning after.
I have done catering events in the past, from a 6 course vegetarian dinner party as a private chef, to cooking for 40 at a birthday BBQ. However the festival scene is a new adventure which I have been wanting to conquer for a while and I can’t wait! I will be testing my other recipes over the next couple of months, so call back if you fancy checking out my progress!
If you want to keep this recipe vegan just don’t add the egg. A sprinkle of my toasted chilli soy seeds would be a great replacement to add a little protein and crunch to the dish for any vegans out there. The rustic tomato salsa is a great addition to these wraps and takes under 5 minutes to put together. Make quickly whilst everything is cooking, or even make ahead to let the flavours develop. Find the recipe at the bottom. Enjoy!
Mushroom Spinach and Avocado Wrap
Serves 1, prep time 5 minutes, cooking time 10 minutes.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4-5 Mushrooms
- Handful Spinach
- 1 Wholemeal Wrap
- ½ Avocado
- 1 tsp Smoked Chilli
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 Egg (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pan, stirring occasionally for about 3-4 minutes or until browning.
- Throw the spinach into the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until wilted. Add a good pinch of salt and black pepper and transfer into a bowl.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and place the wrap in the oven to quickly warm.
- Meanwhile crack the egg into the pan and cook for 3 or so minutes to your liking, if using.
- Remove the wrap from the oven. Halve the avocado and scoop out the flesh, spreading onto the wrap, leaving a 1 inch gap around the edges. Season with a little salt.
- Add the tomato salsa (recipe below), then the mushroom and spinach, and finally the egg if using.
- Sprinkle the smoked chilli over the wraps and salt and pepper the egg, then wrap up and serve.
Rustic Tomato Salsa
Serves 1, prep time under 5 minutes.
- 1 Spring Onions
- 1 fresh Red Chilli
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 medium Tomato
- Handful fresh Coriander
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- Pinch Caster Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Finely chop the spring onions, chilli, coriander (stalks and all), tomato, crush the garlic and add to a bowl.
- Mix the white wine vinegar and sugar together and pour over the salsa. Season and serve.