This Moroccan influenced cauliflower and almond soup is full of healthy protein and fats with metabolism boosting chilli paste. I am an absolute soup lover, so it is quite a surprise that I only have 3 soup recipes so far on the blog. Soup is such a good winter warmer, especially this thick and creamy rib sticking recipe with a spicy kick from the harissa! I promised I would post my homemade harissa recipe in my sriracha recipe and worry not! Here is the recipe for homemade harissa paste. Be careful though, if you’re not a huge spicy fan maybe taking the seeds out would be good practice, as my harissa is VERY hot! I dressed the soup with flaked almonds, pomegranate seeds and molasses, which go very well with the North African spices. The pomegranate seeds give a burst of freshness to the otherwise deeply flavoured creamy soup, so I do recommend you try it! Serves 4.
Harissa Roasted Cauliflower and Almond Soup
- 2 Medium Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp each Ground Cinnamon, Cumin and Coriander
- 1-2 tsp Harissa Paste (depending on harissa strength and personal taste)
- 1l hot Vegetable Stock (add more if soup is too thick)
- 50g Almonds
To serve (optional, but great)
- Handful Flaked Almonds
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pomegranate molasses
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place on a baking tray.
- In a bowl, mix 2tbsp olive oil, ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander together and drizzle over the cauliflower.
- Using your hands rub the dressing into the cauliflower and place in the oven for 15 minutes to roast.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan. Finely chop the onion and fry for 5 or so minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Crush the garlic and add to the pan, stirring so it doesn’t burn. Add the harissa paste and stir for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, stock and almonds. Cover and cook for 10 mins until the cauliflower is tender and flavours have mixed.
- Blend soup until smooth, then serve with a swirl of pomegranate molasses, a scattering of pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of toasted almonds.