These gluten-free cauliflower feta cakes with guacamole make a perfect light evening meal or satisfying desk lunch, as they can be enjoyed hot or cold. The cauliflower cakes would also make an excellent replacement for bread in the mornings for those who can’t have gluten. They are full of protein due to the quinoa flakes, eggs and feta yet are still light as they are predominantly made of cauliflower, so are a great pre or post workout meal. I love avocado, so I made a punchy guacamole to accompany the cauliflower cakes, but anything from a spicy tomato relish to a gooey poached egg will compliment these filling patties. Toast a few seeds to up the protein content further and add a crunchy texture. I also served the patties with some lemon and garlic stir fried kale. Recipe inspired by Green Kitchen Stories. Makes 6 cakes.
Cauliflower Feta Cakes
- 250g Cauliflower
- 50g Feta
- 75g Quinoa Flakes (can substitute oats, but they are rarely gluten-free)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Lemon
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Handful Fresh Parsley
- Olive oil for frying
- Pulse the cauliflower in a blender until it has a rice-like texture.
- Add into a bowl along with the eggs, feta, quinoa flakes, salt and pepper to taste, then stir until evenly combined. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour, to let the flavours develop and firm the mixture.
- Form the mixture into 6 small patties with your hands, squeezing out any excess liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the cauliflower cakes and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- 2 Avocados
- ½ Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Tomato
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
- ½ Lemon
- Sea Salt
- Smoked chilli, fresh parsely and a wedge of lemon, to serve
- Peel and finely slice the red onion and tomato. Crush the garlic and finely chop the coriander. Add to a serving bowl.
- Halve the avocados, de-stone and squeeze out the flesh into the serving bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice over, add a pinch of sea salt.
- Using a fork mash the ingredients together to ensure all the flavours are fully combined and serve with the chilli, parsley and lemon.