This carrot coconut salad is a recipe adapted from my favourite café in Gloucester, Peppers. They have a wonderful self-service salad bar with a wide selection of freshly made salads including wild rice and pumpkin seeds, pesto chickpeas, and yep, carrot and coconut. The staff are always super friendly and in the evenings they have live acoustic sessions upstairs. It is tucked down a side alley off Westgate Street so you would miss it if you didn’t know it was there, but track it down and you’ll be in for a treat. An excellent lunchtime haunt.
This recipe is a great addition to a BBQ, or it would really compliment a curry. Make sure you have plenty of dressing so the carrot stays lovely and moist. Recipe serves 4 as a side.
Carrot and Coconut Salad
- 5 – 6 Medium Carrots
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Dessicated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Seeds (Pumpkin Seeds also work well)
- 2 Oranges
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Lime
- 1tsp honey (optional, can use maple syrup or sugar to make vegan)
- Salt and Pepper
- Clean the carrots, chop off the ends and peel.
- Using a box grater, grate the carrot into a large bowl.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and dry fry the cumin seeds for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and browning. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the coconut to the pan and stir until the coconut turns a light caramel colour – about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add to the cumin.
- Add the sunflower seeds to the pan and dry fry until browning – 2 to 3 minutes. Mix with the cumin and coconut.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange, lemon and lime and add to the seed mix. Mix in the honey or sweetener if needed. Taste and add seasoning.
- Drizzle over the grated carrot and mix well.