Beetroot houmous is a dinner party staple in our shared house. I think it has featured in the last 5 events we have attended or hosted, each with my 2 housemates and myself having our own recipes. This is my very simple version made out of raw organic beetroot from our veg box to celebrate the Soil Association‘s Organic September.
Surprisingly, I haven’t edited this picture AT ALL as I still haven’t bought myself a new laptop (hence the long pauses in posting, sorry), the houmous naturally came out this colour!
- 1 organic raw beetroot
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Scrub the soil off the beetroot and peel. Chop into 1 inch chunks (this makes it easier to blend).
- In a blender, add all the ingredients and blend on a high speed until smooth.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little more oil.